[Tutor] Best solution to modifying code within a distributed library

Chip Wachob wachobc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 17:47:07 EDT 2018

Hello once again,

I'm sure this is probably way outside my 'pay grade' but I would like
to try an experiment and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I'm using the Adafruit FT232 libraries found here:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Python_GPIO/blob/master/Adafruit_GPIO/SPI.py

I'm experiencing some wiggling of the IO lines when I configure the IO
pin direction.

I've looked through the code in the FT232H.py file and found what I
believe to be the culprit.

I would like to comment out line 340 (self.mpsse_write_gpio()) to
prove that this is what is causing glitches that I do not want.

Using the .__file__ inside the interpreter I learned that the file is
located here on my machine:

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Adafruit_GPIO-1.0.3-py2.7.egg/Adafruit_GPIO/FT232H.pyc

But obviously, this is a binary file.

If I understand enough about Python, I believe that I need to edit the
FT232H.py file in the .egg file to implement the change.  There is
also likely some sort of compilation that needs to be done once the
change is made...

BUT

As I've also learned from our friend Google, one should not be editing
.egg files, etc.

So, can the experts out there point me to the proper method of
implementing the change?

IF, this ends up resolving my issues, then I presume that I will need
to create my own .egg file.  Is this accurate?

As always thank you in advance for your time,