[Tutor] Flask and flask_wtf issue -- I hpe someone can help.

mhysnm1964 at gmail.com mhysnm1964 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 06:14:10 EDT 2019

All,

Thanks to the starting point from Allan's chapter on web ffframeworks. I
have now build quite a nice little app showing a bunch of records from a
sqlite database in tables. The issue I am having is with flask_wtf and
forms. I have a Selector HTML which I want to grab the selected item from
the list of options. I cannot get the data from the selector.

If there is five items and I select the 2nd option. I want the value related
to option 2 to be retrieved and updating a database. Below is the
information I hope will make things clear.

HTML template:

{% extends "base.html" %}

{% block content %}

    <h1>New  Sub Category</h1>

        <form action="" method="post" novalidate>

        {{ form.hidden_tag() }}

        {{ form.categoriesfield.label }}

        {{ form.categoriesfield(rows=10) }}

            {{ form.subcategoryfield.label }}<br>

            {{ form.subcategoryfield(size=64) }}<br>

            {% for error in form.subcategoryfield.errors %}

            {% endfor %}

    </form>

    <h2>List of sub Categories</h2>

    {% if prev_url %}

    {% endif %}

    {% if next_url %}

    {% endif %}

        <caption> Records   </caption>

            <th scope='col'>ID</th>

            <th scope='col'>Sub Category Name</th>

            <th scope='col'>Category Name</th>

        {% for row in records %}

        {% endfor %}

    </tbody></table>

    {% if prev_url %}

    {% endif %}

    {% if next_url %}

    {% endif %}

{% endblock %}

Now for the form.py class related to this form:

from flask_wtf import FlaskForm

from wtforms import StringField,  BooleanField, SubmitField, TextAreaField,
TextField, IntegerField, RadioField, SelectField, SelectMultipleField

from wtforms.validators import ValidationError, DataRequired, EqualTo,
Length

from app.models import  * # all table model classes

class SubCategoryForm (FlaskForm):

    categoriesfield = SelectField('Categories', choices= [(c.id, c.category)
for c in Categories.query.order_by('category')])

    subcategoryfield = StringField('Sub Category Name')

    submit = SubmitField('Create SubCategory')

Now for the routes.py function which the issue occurs. As you can tell
below, I am passing the category id and category text value to the
SelectField field to create the HTML code. The text value is being displayed
and I want the ID to be retrieved. Then I am planning to update the
SubCategory  table with the category id to establish the relationship for a
new sub_category.

from datetime import datetime

from flask import render_template, flash, redirect, url_for, request

from app import app, db

from app.forms import CategoryForm, SubCategoryForm

from app.models import * # all table model classes

@app.route('/subcategories', methods=['GET', 'POST'])

def subcategories ():

    tables = Accounts.query.all()

    form = SubCategoryForm()

    print (form.categoriesfield.data)

    if form.validate_on_submit():

        subcategory_value  =
SubCategories(subcategory=form.subcategory.data)

        db.session.add(subcategory_value)

        db.session.commit()

        flash('Congratulations, a sub category was added. {}
{}'.format(subcategory_value, form.categoriesfield.data))

        return redirect(url_for('subcategories'))

    page = request.args.get('page', 1, type=int)

    records  = SubCategories.query.order_by(SubCategories.id).paginate(page,
app.config['POSTS_PER_PAGE'], False)

    next_url = url_for('subcategories', page=records.next_num) if
records.has_next else None

    prev_url = url_for('subcategories', page=records.prev_num) if
records.has_prev else None

    return render_template('subcategories.html', tables = tables,
title='Manage  sub Categories', form=form, records = records.items, next_url
= next_url, prev_url = prev_url)

I cannot work how to get the category ID. If I use validate or not on any
fields, it doesn't produce anything in the flash. The page refreshes and
leave the content in the field. The database isn't being  updated with the
new sub_category. All the database relationships are working when I manually
insert the data into the table via SQLIte3.

Any thoughts? Have I made myself clear enough?

Sean