[Tutor] Recommended Resurce or strategy for beginning students

David bouncingcats at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 23:59:41 EST 2019

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 15:03, David <bouncingcats at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) The given title is misleading, in my opinion its subtitle would be much more
> representative: "Enabling students [by] example-driven teaching".

Hi again,

Sorry for replying to myself, but I want to correct something wrong that
I wrote above. The actual subtitle of the presentation is
"Enabling students over example-driven teaching"
and I think the intendend meaning of that is
"Enabling students [is better than] example-driven teaching".

Also I forgot to mention that part of my motivation for writing is some

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 21:07, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org> wrote:

> I'm not a professional or trained teacher but over
> the last 30 years or so I've been involved in classes
> teaching everything from 11 years to 70+ years old
> students. I've always, without fail, found that some
> students (say 10-20% of a class) just don't get
> programming. It seems to me that some folks just
> don't have their brains wired the right way. It
> doesn't matter what tools or languages you use, it
> even happens with graphical tools like flow charts.
> Some people just don't understand the concepts of
> logical flow and problem decomposition.
>
> You can, of course, force feed these folks to some
> extent and they will pick up the basics with a
> struggle but they will never be able to create
> any significant body of code on their own. I'm
> sure psychologists etc will have an explanation
> for this but I've given up trying to explain it,
> I now just accept that some people don't think
> that way.

I believe the video presentation addresses exactly these points.