[Tutor] Recommended Resurce or strategy for beginning students

Matthew Polack matthew.polack at htlc.vic.edu.au
Wed Feb 6 00:42:04 EST 2019

Thanks Alan, David and Mike,

Really appreciate those thoughts and ideas suggested.. I will check out the
full video David...but the part I've looked at has some great food for
thought..is extremely relevant.This quote from the description is very true:

"showing them how to copy-paste a few example programs and change a few
parameters is easy, but bridging from there to building substantial
programs is a different game entirely. This talk is about how to teach
programming successfully, through comprehensible *design recipes*, which
anyone can follow "

Is interesting also his reference to robots....that we could spend a year
using robots...but not really getting deep learning happening...which is
what I was wondering too...

I think initially I do have to start with some example programs....and if
nothing else try and get them inspired to go further....
Anyway thanks...is going to be quite an interesting journey of learning for
both students and teacher this Semester!

Will keep looking through the suggestions and resources mentioned.

Thank you,

Matthew

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:02 PM David <bouncingcats at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 at 15:03, David <bouncingcats at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 1) The given title is misleading, in my opinion its subtitle would be
> much more
> > representative: "Enabling students [by] example-driven teaching".
>
> Hi again,
>
> Sorry for replying to myself, but I want to correct something wrong that
> I wrote above. The actual subtitle of the presentation is
> "Enabling students over example-driven teaching"
> and I think the intendend meaning of that is
> "Enabling students [is better than] example-driven teaching".
>
> Also I forgot to mention that part of my motivation for writing is some
> things Alan wrote:
>
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 20:59, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > In the UK many schools use the RaspberryPi project to teach robots to
> > kids as part of their Technology courses. The programming is picked up
> > by osmosis on an as-needed basis. The upside is that it's a lot of fun
> > and gets kids used to the concepts of hardware and software working in
> > unison. The downside is that they learn a lot of bad coding habits and
> > don't understand the theoretical underpinnings of either the hardware or
> > software. But as a way to get them hooked it works well .
>
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 at 21:07, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor at python.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not a professional or trained teacher but over
> > the last 30 years or so I've been involved in classes
> > teaching everything from 11 years to 70+ years old
> > students. I've always, without fail, found that some
> > students (say 10-20% of a class) just don't get
> > programming. It seems to me that some folks just
> > don't have their brains wired the right way. It
> > doesn't matter what tools or languages you use, it
> > even happens with graphical tools like flow charts.
> > Some people just don't understand the concepts of
> > logical flow and problem decomposition.
> >
> > You can, of course, force feed these folks to some
> > extent and they will pick up the basics with a
> > struggle but they will never be able to create
> > any significant body of code on their own. I'm
> > sure psychologists etc will have an explanation
> > for this but I've given up trying to explain it,
> > I now just accept that some people don't think
> > that way.
>
> I believe the video presentation addresses exactly these points.

**Disclaimer: *Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material
contained in this email is free from computer viruses or other defects, the
attached files are provided, and may only be used, on the basis that the
user assumes all responsibility for use of the material transmitted. This
email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above
and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you are
not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email
or telephone +61 3 5382 2529** and destroy the original message.*