[Tutor] Recommended Resurce or strategy for beginning students

Matthew Polack matthew.polack at htlc.vic.edu.au
Tue Jan 22 01:57:54 EST 2019

Hi All,

In our growing school we're teaching Python programming for the first time
as an elective subject with Year 9 and 10 students. (Had a dabble at this
last year with 3 students in Year 11)

I'm wondering what specific resource or stategy people would recommend for
absolute beginners?

ie. a course or program, book,...set of activities to follow that
strategically introduces and develops key skills.

At this age level I don't think we need to be achieving 'rocket
science'..but rather giving the students a good solid introduction.

Some of the leadership wanted me to use this programming in combination
with building robots...I've even wondered whether this is trying to achieve
too many things...and we're better off focused on programming itself... but
am open to this idea too...

I've had a play with using the excellent PySimpleGUI...which is an
excellent resource for building a GUI...but I've realised before doing too
much of this we might need to get a grip on core fundamentals....

The challenge is trying to find a way to making this 'fun' for students
whilst also having them genuinely learn rather than just 'copying pasting'
code...achieving something that looks good...but not really understanding
what they are doing.

So far my strategy will be:

1.) Establish some core basics(utlising some form of 'course',,,which goes
through basics of syntax..variables...loops etc. utilising just raw
code...(probably a simple 'Adventure Game')
2.) Build some simple programs using PySimple GUi..eg. Some quiz games etc.
(there are some great examples on Github by another teacher and also the
author Mike of PySimpleGUI.
3.) Possibly explore robotics.

Can anyone make any recommendations on either resources or
teaching/learning strategy/curriculum.

Thank you,
Matt

Matthew Polack | Teacher

[image: Emailbanner3.png]

Trinity Drive  |  PO Box 822

Horsham Victoria 3402

p. 03 5382 2529   m. 0402456854

e. matthew.polack at htlc.vic.edu.au

w. www.htlc.vic.edu.au

--
**Disclaimer: *Whilst every attempt has been made to ensure that material
contained in this email is free from computer viruses or other defects, the