[Tutor] [OT] Problem with auto-complete package installation in Atom [Was: Re: After virtualenv, how to use ide]

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 14:32:41 EDT 2019

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 2:45 AM anand warik <anandwarik at gmail.com> wrote:

> I gave up on Spyder and shifted to Atom, which seems easy to port to different versions of python created by virtual environments. But now facing a new problem. I have installed a package named autocomplete-python on atom but it doesn't seem to work. I checked few links on stackoverflow as well but still the problem persists. Can someone help me with this?

This is actually a question about the Atom code editor, not one about
Python, so it is really off-topic for this forum as well as unrelated
to your originating topic.  However, Tutor is a friendly place, so if
someone knows much about Atom, I am sure they will try to help.  But I
must say, you did not give anyone much information to enable such help
to happen.  "... but it doesn't seem to work..." is an extraordinarily
vague problem description!  So you may wish to flesh out the details
of your exact problem if you seek help here or elsewhere.

But that is not what I wish to discuss.  I am going to assume that you
are not a professional programmer.  If that is incorrect, I profusely
apologize in advance!  But that is okay.  I am not a professional nor
expert programmer myself.  Because of this, I recall agonizing over
the choice of code editor, or, possibly even worse, deciding whether
to use an IDE or editor.  This is a difficult decision about which
many wax poetic and express their opinions with great emotion.  If you
wish to be amused, just do a search for Emacs vs. Vim editor wars!  So
the reality of it, whether you are a non-expert like me or a
professional coder, choice of editor/IDE is an intensely personal
choice.  You will spend many hours/days/weeks/months/years/... of your
life staring at your choice of editor/IDE, so you should pick
something that works well for you.  But editor hopping is not the
answer!  Instead, I would advise you to carefully evaluate your actual
*needs*, and cull that list down to something that satisfies your
sense of aesthetics.

In my case I write some programs to make my life easier at work (*not*
programming related).  While there my time is split between PCs that
are Windows-based and thin-clients connecting to a Solaris-based
server.  Whatever editor I use at work needs to be available in both
environments, and the Solaris one does *not* allow me to install any
new software, so it became my primary determinant of editor.  When it
came down to it, the only substantial code editing support was limited
to vi until recently when our servers were upgraded with a newer
version of Solaris (Yay!) which came with Vim/gVim.  On the other
hand, when I do my actual "fun" programming and learning, I mostly do
that at home where I can install anything I like.  So initially I
tried all kinds of editors and IDEs and wasted quite a lot of time!
And I did not get comfortable with anything.  So I finally decided to
just stick with vi/Vim/gVim/Neovim.  The point is to stick with
something long enough that you can realize its full potential, or, at
least work your way in that direction.

So, research your needs, both current and future.  From that short
list select what you will enjoy interacting with on a daily basis.

BTW, back to Atom:  Your question(s) about it would probably get
better results on whatever forums are devoted to it.  I am sure there
will be at least one if not more.

Cheers!
boB