[Tutor] Partly Off Topic - Email clients for email discussion lists

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 13:47:44 EST 2020

On 03/03/2020 16:10, Torbjörn Svensson Diaz wrote:
> What are the best email clients for email discussion lists?

Defining "best" to mean suitable for a power-user, then the usual
response would be mutt.

It is a command-line tool but extremely powerful for filtering
and doing mas operations. If your email load is measured in
the hundreds (or even thousands) per day its a great option.
Not pretty or easy to use but very powerful.

If you are talking GUIs then that's a different discussion.
My favourite is Thunderbird (and on Windows 95 it was Pegasus,
but I don't even know if it is still supported!)

When I was working I used to process 2-300 emails a day using
Outlook but Outlook isn't really an email client; its more
a group-ware messaging/collaboration client and, in particular,
it doesn't play well with standards-based discussion groups.

As for Web based tools, I have no idea. They all seem fairly
standard to me (except gmail which is just bizarre!) and I'd
never try to manage high volumes via a web app anyway!"

But you may have a different concept of "best"...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site