[Tutor] how to install python3.8 using virtualenvwrapper

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Fri May 8 22:14:33 EDT 2020

My platform is Debian 10 (Buster)
which comes with Python 2.7 and Python 3.7 preinstalled.

I've successfully got virtualenvwrapper running:
[ # install python3-pip
   $ pip3 install virtualenvwrapper
then make the appropriate entries in ~/.bashrc and source it...]

Now I'd like to have an env using python 3.8.

$ makevirtualenv -p python3.7 p37
gives me a Python 3.7 environment but
$ makevirtualenv -p python3.8 p38
fails.

Is it possible to bring in python 3.8 using pip (or some other means)
or must I build from source?[1]

[1] as described here:
https://tecadmin.net/install-python-3-8-ubuntu/

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Alex

PS Forgive me if this is a duplication.  I remember composing this
request for help within the last few days but don't remember seeing
it on the list and can't find it in my 'sent' folder.
--
Alex Kleider
(sent from my current gizmo)