[Tutor] Unknown encoded file types.

dn PyTutor at DancesWithMice.info
Wed Feb 10 17:05:16 EST 2021

On 10/02/2021 23.47, mhysnm1964 at gmail.com wrote:
> All,
>
> Thank you for your assistance. After doing more investigation. There is some
> unusual characters in the files which look like French or similar languages.
> So I will play with your kind code samples and libraries to see what is
> being used.

Which leads this non-MS-Win user to ask:

if UTF-8/standard Python has 'trouble' understanding files originally
created in ISO 8859-n locale, eg MS-Win's Latin-1 etc; given MSFT's
assumptions of eco-system/world-domination, does today's version of
Win10 enjoy suitable backwards-compatibility and thus have no
difficulties, eg a FileManager listing file-names or a NotePad
displaying text-content?

(is a/the solution to 'upgrade' to UTF-8 'there', and thereafter
Python's I/O will perform without incident)
--
Regards,
=dn