[Tutor] Ways of removing consequtive duplicates from a list

avi.e.gross at gmail.com avi.e.gross at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:45:19 EDT 2022

I will try a short answer to the topic of why some of us (meaning in this
case ME) react to what we may see not so much as cultural differences but to
feeling manipulated.

I have had people in my life who say things like "You are so smart you can
probably do this for me in just a few minutes" and lots of variations on
such a theme. As it happens, that is occasionally true when I already happen
to know how to do it. But sometimes I have to do lots of research and
experimentation or ask others with specific expertise. Being smart or
over-educated in one thing is not the same as being particularly good at
other things. How would you feel if asked to write a program (for no pay)
and after spending lots of time and showing the results, the other guy says
that this is pretty much how they already did it and they just wanted to see
if it was right or the best way so they asked you? What a waste of time for
no real result!

I have found there are people in this world who use techniques ranging from
flattery to guilt to get you to do things for them. One of these finally
really annoyed me by asking if I knew of a good lawyer to do real estate for
a friend of his about 25 miles from where I live. He lives perhaps a hundred
miles away and neither of us is particularly knowledgeable about the area
and I don't even know lawyers in my area. We both can use the darn internet.
So why ask me? The answer is because they are users.

Note many people ask serious questions here and we ask the same question.
Did you do any kind of search before asking? Did you write any code and see
where it fails?

So next time we get a question like this one, how about we reply with a
request that they provide their own thoughts FIRST and also spell out what
the meaning of words like "best" is and only once they convince us they have
tried and really need help, do we jump in. I am not necessarily talking
about everyone with a question, but definitely about repeaters.,