[Types-sig] "Interfaces" Jargon

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@Digicool.com
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 13:31:59 -0500

I'd like to get moving on resolving jargon issues wrt to what I like
to call "interfaces".

I proposed the term "interface" for a thing that describes the
external interface to and behavior of an object (or class instances).
Alternative terms include: "specification", "behavior", "behavioral
specification", "protocol", "type", "contract" ...

I also proposed the term "implements" as in: "object X implements
the Spam interface".  An alternative term might be "conforms to".
Someone suggested "indicates".

"Interface" and "implements" are the terms used by Java.
While there are differences between the interfaces idea that I've
proposed and Java interfaces, I think that the similarities are
sufficient enough to use the same terms.

OTOH, I really don't give a %$#@ what jargon we use.  I'd like to
settle on *some* jargon so we can move forward with the Scarecrow
proposal. :)

At the "Python Interfaces" session ad Developer's Day '98, I took a
straw pole and most respondents seemed to favor the terms "interfaces"
and "implements", including Guido, Jim H., and myself, FWIW.

If anyone *really* has a hard time using "interfaces" and "implements"
or if you think a complelling case can be made against these or for
others, then please speak up now.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.