[Types-sig] Optional static typing and Python interfaces

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:54:03 -0500 (EST)

    BJ> 	1) Add interface descriptions (.pi files) which used a
    BJ> slightly different syntax in that they allowed some kind of
    BJ> optional static typing declarations.  These serve as
    BJ> documentation; no compilers need muck with them.  Work out the
    BJ> details of the optional static typing syntax at this stage.

    BJ> 	3) Modify the Python parser to allow optional static
    BJ> typing in the Python code, using the syntax developed in phase
    BJ> 1.  Beef up the cross-checking program developed in phase 2 to
    BJ> use these type declarations to aid it in type inferencing.

I'm not sure you need to go to #3.  Why not keep the .pi files
separate?  Yes it's more work, but you also don't have to worry about
the "optional" part of "optional static types".  If the program could
run just as well after removing all the .pi files, you're good to go.

-Barry