[Types-sig] Why I don't like static types in Python

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:20:49 -0500

[Dominic Binks]
> I'd love to see type inference.  I know that seems to be a dirty
> word around the Python community

Not dirty, just harder in Python than you apparently believe.  If you were
to, say, offhandedly suggest that Python "should do" this and that it's no
trouble at all, the glaring reaction you get should probably be taken more
personally than technically <wink>.

> but it certainly works really well in functional languages

Ahem -- functional languages deliberately constrain their type systems to
make type inference tractable.  Python doesn't.

> and costs nothing t implement for implementors.

Well, in *that* case ...

if-it-costs-nothing-to-implement-it-must-already-be-in-ly y'rs  - tim