[Types-sig] New syntax?

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:16:18 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Paul> Separate files are a necessity to handle C-coded types.
>
>     Martijn> Um? Why?
>
> My guess is so that declaration and definition are separated.  If
> "definition" roughly means "import", you'd like to get at an object's
> interface without actually importing (or perhaps even parsing it?) the
> module it is defined in and risking the side effects of import.

I don't think so... Paul was referring to C-coded extension types.
Therefore, Python syntax (or any other syntax) is not available. The
interface would need to be programmatically defined, or it would occur in
a separate file.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think we should defer this problem.
There are too many issues, none of which move us (or hinder us) from
getting to a first-version type system. I think we can revisit this and
add some new concepts, code, whatever, to solve the problem (without
tearing down or interfering with what we did in Rev 1).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/