[Types-sig] Re: what tools? (was: Type Inference I)

skaller skaller@maxtal.com.au
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 12:04:17 +1100

Greg Stein wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, skaller wrote:
> > Greg wants to write one kind of tool, I'm building a different one.
> > The point is to try to help both these tools, and any others,
> > do a better job for the programmer, by changing the python
> > language.
>
> Agreed. So far, I do not believe that adding type annotations
> (declarations) will hinder your tool.

	Of course not: I want them badly.

> > I.e. the goal of the SIG is to recommend language
> > changes NOT to produce any kind of tool (although that
> > is useful to help decide what needs changing, and it may
> > also be useful to end users as well: these are secondary
> > goals) At least, that's my understanding.
>
> I don't believe we are limited to language changes. That is a bit too
> narrow to solving the problems at hand. I figure that we'll implement an
> external tool, leaving the integration decision for another day.

	Yeah, but your tool will probably by CPython centric,
that is, it will not work in JPython or Viper because you will
hook the AST stuff etc. [If you can do it all in 'pure python'
that would be  better -- however it STILL won't cope with
Viper or Jpython extensions ...]

--
John Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
10/1 Toxteth Rd Glebe NSW 2037 Australia