[Types-sig] Re: syntax and compile/run -time

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 22:01:45 -0500

John Ehresman wrote:

> It would also be nice to be able to examine the interface of an object
> through the native reflection API.  I don't know if these considerations
> requre that type objects be constructable at runtime because python source
> could be generated and the compiled on the fly, but I think they serve as
> examples of why the type system should be extensible at runtime.

We all agree that interfaces should be constructible at runtime. What we
disagree on is whether runtime constructed interfaces can be used in the
same syntactic contexts as statically constructed interfaces.

a = GoFetchMeAnInteface()
decl foo as def( arg: a ) -> String

interface B( a ):

...and so forth. I claim that the syntax should restrict us to clearly
separating the runtime from the compile time.

 Paul Prescod