[Types-sig] Re: syntax and compile/run -time

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:17:22 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Paul Prescod wrote:
> John Ehresman wrote:
> > It would also be nice to be able to examine the interface of an object
> > through the native reflection API.  I don't know if these considerations
> > requre that type objects be constructable at runtime because python source
> > could be generated and the compiled on the fly, but I think they serve as
> > examples of why the type system should be extensible at runtime.
>
> We all agree that interfaces should be constructible at runtime. What we
> disagree on is whether runtime constructed interfaces can be used in the
> same syntactic contexts as statically constructed interfaces.
>
> a = GoFetchMeAnInteface()
> decl foo as def( arg: a ) -> String
>
> interface B( a ):
>
> ...and so forth. I claim that the syntax should restrict us to clearly
> separating the runtime from the compile time.

Maybe it goes with saying, but I'm on the opposite fence from Paul :-)

I don't think we should restrict the runtime from using any [new] Python
syntax. The above code should be completely legal and valid, but it would
not be compile-time checkable.

Cheers,
-g

--