[Types-sig] Static typing: Towards closure?

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:44:11 +0100

Tim Peters wrote:

> [condensing a long & masterful piece to its vital
>  essence here]
>
> > I don't like the syntax proposed before very
> > much; what's wrong with C++ template brackets?
>
> In C++, it's the "maximal munch" lexing rule, which tokenizes e.g.
>
>     Stack<Stack<T>>
> as
>     Stack
>     <
>     Stack
>     <
>     >>

I don't want to add yet another comment on Guido's work, which is
great. There is just the "<>" thing that makes me unhappy.

If Python adopts the notation of template classes, I get reminded
of the fact that the template evaluator in C++ is turing complete!
Did you know this? Yes you can compute primes at compile time
with templates.

Please don't let this happen to Python :-)

ciao - chris - voting for smiley templates like Stack(-:T:-)

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>
Düppelstr. 31                :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net