[Types-sig] Re: evaluating '!'

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:32:36 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, skaller wrote:
> scott wrote:
> > ... stuff about '!' constraining the system we can build ...
>
> ... John responding that '!' can exist in *addition* to another system ...

I was going to respond to Scott and say the same thing, but I think John
said it much better. It is untrue that '!' will limit our type checking
system in *any* fashion. It is a (IMO) a great addition and will
definitely help any other system that we might design. To me, it is a
no-brainer place to start. Adding certain forms of "decl" and certain
forms of syntax for type declarators are also no brainers. I just get a
bit more worried about complex type declarators, parameterization, typedef
mechanisms, and interfaces. Those will take a bit more discussion to reach
a solid, consensual basis on their syntax, semantics, and benefits.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/