[Types-sig] Re: evaluating '!'

skaller skaller@maxtal.com.au
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:35:42 +1100

Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, skaller wrote:
> > scott wrote:
> > > ... stuff about '!' constraining the system we can build ...
> >
> > ... John responding that '!' can exist in *addition* to another system ...
>
> I was going to respond to Scott and say the same thing, but I think John
> said it much better. It is untrue that '!' will limit our type checking
> system in *any* fashion. It is a (IMO) a great addition and will
> definitely help any other system that we might design. To me, it is a
> no-brainer place to start. Adding certain forms of "decl" and certain
> forms of syntax for type declarators are also no brainers. I just get a
> bit more worried about complex type declarators, parameterization, typedef
> mechanisms, and interfaces. Those will take a bit more discussion to reach
> a solid, consensual basis on their syntax, semantics, and benefits.

	I get worried by _any_ decl, for two reasons: one, it introduces
another compile time statement -- I'd like to get RID of the other one
(global).
Secondly, it isn't clear what the semantics are/should be. So I get
worried a bit
before Greg .. but agree that the complexity of an extended declaration
sublanguage introduces additional uncertainties.

--
John (Max) Skaller, mailto:skaller@maxtal.com.au
homepage: http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller