[Types-sig] Query about Types SIG status

Michael Abbott Michael@RCP.co.uk
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:22:01 +0100

I'd be very grateful if someone could post a summary of the current status
of the Python Types SIG.

I'm a little concerned:

1.	The only mail I've seen since joining this list has been SPAM!
2.	Some of the links on the SIG home page seem to be broken (of course
the recent outage of python.org doesn't help, but that's not what I'm
referring to).
3.	There doesn't seem to be much in the way of recent and current
proposals, as far as I can see.

There seem to be a variety of documents in varying stages of maturity, but
it's difficult to see what the current state of thinking is.  There's a
document from Guido van Rossum with some early ideas, an unnumbered PEP from
Paul Prescod on an interface declaration language, and PEP-0245 by Michel
Pelletier, plus a number of other papers.  However (it's difficult to tell),
most of these seem to be quite elderly!

Clearly the ideas of interfaces and of static types are distinct but closely
related developments.  Is this an area of active development, or is the
current consensus that it's not worth the effort?