[ULS-SIG] Encryption and identity

Duncan McGreggor duncan.mcgreggor at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 02:51:45 CEST 2011

Zooko and Brian,

You guys are the first two people I think of when I start thinking
about good security in Python code :-)

I'm doing some experimentation with some of the concepts that underly
ultra large-scale systems... in particular, I'm exploring "governance"
of nodes in an abstract network/mesh. I'm preparing to implement some
voting procedures whereby nodes in a network can elect a leader node
to act as a proxy between the other nodes and a larger network
(limiting flooding, providing dynamic routing, etc.).

This quickly led to concerns of rogue nodes, "stuffed ballot boxes",
etc. The first experiments are toy: taking place in a single Python
process. What mechanisms would you suggest I use to ensure that only
known nodes are allowed to vote? My first thought was public/private
keys generated by the nodes. Similarly, for encrypting data between
nodes.

I'd like to have the implementation be as light-weight as possible...
eventually, this is the sort of thing that could go into masses of
tiny devices, e.g., health and environment monitoring nodes in a
hospital, carried on internal ventilation currents, attached to
walls/clothing/etc, adhered to patients, etc.

Are there good papers you would recommend reading? Blog posts? Source code?

Thanks!