[ULS-SIG] paxos

Duncan McGreggor duncan at dreamhost.com
Tue Nov 8 02:59:03 CET 2011

In a conference call today, a journal article on ZooKeeper[1] was
discussed, and when looking at the wiki page, I was struck by the
cognitive resonance between their leader selection process and other
topics that had been discussed on this list (object meshes, electing
node leaders, election algorithms, etc.).

The guys on the call were fairly knowledgeable about ZooKeeper internals,
and they kept mentioning the paxos [2] protocols. This was, of course,
pay dirt. I can't remember if anyone on the list had mentioned this
before, but if so, I don't know how I overlooked it :-) An, to be
frankly honest, I don't know how I haven't heard of this until now.

Google has (of course) an implementation for this, and they wrote a
paper on their experiences [3], which should prove to be a fascinating read.

Enjoy!

Links:

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/ProjectDescription