[Web-SIG] HTML parsers and DOM; WWW::Mechanize work-alike

Greg Ward gward at python.net
Tue Dec 2 22:28:03 EST 2003

On 02 December 2003, Casey Duncan said:
> I volunteer for phase 1. Actually I will do a phase 0 first which will
> just be stupid wrapper that exposes the API and nothing else. From
> there we can discuss what needs to be done to complete phase 1.
>
> This looks like a good job for SWIG, does anyone oppose using it?

Note that the current Berkeley DB wrapper did not get into the standard
library until AMK rewrote it from hand with no hint of SWIG.  (And even
then, it took a year or two before the bsddb in 2.3 got in.)

As I recall, there were Serious Reservations about the quality of code
generated by SWIG.  Grovel through the python-dev archives for more.  If
SWIG has changed much since then, it might be worth revisiting -- but I
suspect you'd have a selling job to do to get SWIGged code past
python-dev.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward at python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon.