[Web-SIG] Pre-PEP: Python Web Container Interface v1.0

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Dec 8 09:57:34 EST 2003

At 11:36 AM 12/8/03 +0800, Ng Pheng Siong wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:20:28PM +1100, Stuart Bishop wrote:
> > Should environ['REMOTE_USER'] return '', None, or raise a KeyError if
> > the
> > web server has performed no authentication on a request?
>
>+1 for None.
>
>Zope is able to use REMOTE_USER if the web server sets it, e.g.,

But what does it do if it's set to 'None'?  And even if it's happy with
this, will the fifty or so other existing application frameworks be happy
with it?

Compatibility with the vast existing app framework code base demands that
environ values *must* be strings, or else not present.  (Guess I should add
that to the spec.)