[Web-SIG] Random thoughts

Thijs van der Vossen t.vandervossen at fngtps.com
Mon Nov 3 03:19:31 EST 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 01:05, Steve Holden wrote:
> > >   * I oppose Simon Willison's practice of using the same variable
> > >     in the "GET" and "POST" part of a request, but I will defend to the
> > >     death his right to do so.  (But not in Quixote, where a narrower
> > >     definition of what is Right, Good, and Truthfull prevails.)
> >
> > I don't get it.  Any particular request only has one method, not two:
> > "GET" and "POST".  Are you talking about for some reason
> > special-casing these two methods in the Request class?  I think it
> > makes more sense to do things generically:

> The question is how to integrate data from a POST request (i.e. from the
> standard input of the PORT transaction) and any parameters that may be
> included in the for action's URI (e.g. if the form has an action
> attribute such as "form.py?extra1=val1&extra2=val2")

Before asking _how_ we might first want to decide if we _should_. What's wrong
with having both a 'parameters' (query params) and a 'form-data' (posted form
data) dictionary as attributes of the request object?

In your code you could merge these two with a single line of code:

  merged = request.parameters.update(request.form-data)

Where the posted form data will overwrite the query parameters with the same
name. You can also do this the other way round ofcourse.

Regards,
Thijs

--
Fingertips __ www.fngtps.com __ +31.(0)20.4896540