[Web-SIG] Random thoughts

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Nov 3 13:14:42 EST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
[...]
> To the best of my understanding, query data has no standard for storing
> fields and values. All it is is "stuff after the question mark"
[...]
> and "age" is "55". But if you don't treat it as form data, then there is
> no standard that says you can pass parameters separated by ampresands,
> etc.
>
> So based on that I think "form" is actually appropriate.

'querydata' (note the 'data' there) doesn't imply to me the ability to
parse nonstandard query strings (though obviously it should have some
well-defined value when the query string isn't in standard form).
'formdata', though, does imply to me that it contains all data relating to
forms, which would be misleading.

> If you want to get the query string, that should be available as
> request.query.

I suspect that's rare enough that we could expect people to just parse the
request URL themselves, rather than adding yet another attribute.

John