[Web-SIG] Grail resurrection

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Fri Nov 14 13:43:52 EST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Seo Sanghyeon wrote:

> .

[Seo, FYI: your email client stuck your message in an attachment, so it's
a pain to reply to.]

> Hello, I'm very interested in Python web client programming.
> What do you think about resurrecting Grail? Undoubtedly a web
[...]

What uses did you have in mind?

> Is anyone here interested in resurrecting/modernizing Grail?

Not personally.

> I think the effort's results will be helpful to Python web client
> programming community in general.

I looked at it before, and thought possibly the sort of stuff in
Context.py might be useful (it would be nice to have a browser object
written in Python, with support for history, frames, clicking on buttons
etc. -- especially for something like http://wwwsearch.sf.net/DOMForm/).
There's also caching, though that's of debatable usefulness: I'm sure
there must be free caching proxies out there that you can install locally
(maybe even embeddable ones?).  Apart from that, I can't see anything
useful, but I might well have missed things.

As for the applet stuff, I have no idea how up-to-date it is with current
standards (de-facto or otherwise).  I would assume that the rexec stuff is
not actually important now, since nobody writes internet web pages with
Python applets or script in them (apart from in Jython, but that's a
different thing for these purposes).  In fact, I would have thought that
the frequency of people wanting to run even Java applets from Python is
very low, so even that probably isn't widely useful (and you can already
do it using Jython and httpunit).

John