[Web-SIG] Grail resurrection

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Nov 18 11:31:05 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:49:59AM -0600, Terry Hancock wrote:
> annoying to me because, like Java, it is proprietary.  I really believe
> that we need an open-source plugin that does what flash does and
> does it better.

What you want is a decent SVG plug-in with JavaScript support and animation
that actually works.  SVG is a W3C standard, so you don't need to either
expend effort duplicating Flash's SWF format or invent a new format and
convince people to use it.

KDE's upcoming 3.2 release is probably the first chance at getting such a
thing, because both Mozilla's SVG support and Adobe's SVG plugin (at least
on non-Windows platforms) seem to be dead.

--amk