[Web-SIG] Defining a standard interface for common web tasks

Stuart Langridge aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Thu Oct 23 07:51:18 EDT 2003

amk at amk.ca spoo'd forth:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:51:50PM -0700, Bill Janssen wrote:
>> 1)  A good CGI module.  This should allow clear access to the various
>> values passed in the environment, as Simon points out.  I think the
>> current "cgi" module isn't bad at this, but I'm sure we can find
>> shortcomings.
>
> * Too much cruft.  We could either deprecate stuff in cgi.py with a
>  vengeance, or think up some new package organization.

It would be useful to know if anyone is still *using* any of the old
backwards-compatible stuff. The cgi.py API hasn't changed very much
since 1.5, has it? (I might be hideously wrong here.) If not, then
deprecating all the previous ways it used to work would probably be a
good idea; there can't be that many people still using code that old?
(I admit that this sort of assertion has a habit of coming back and
biting you, mind.)

sil

--
"Last week, I arrived in Sunnydale. Or perhaps it was the week before,
I don't know."