[Web-SIG] Defining a standard interface for common web tasks

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 10:25:07 EDT 2003

Stuart Langridge wrote:
> It would be useful to know if anyone is still *using* any of the old
> backwards-compatible stuff. The cgi.py API hasn't changed very much
> since 1.5, has it? (I might be hideously wrong here.) If not, then
> deprecating all the previous ways it used to work would probably be a
> good idea; there can't be that many people still using code that old?
> (I admit that this sort of assertion has a habit of coming back and
> biting you, mind.)

Actually, I wrote an application using the cgi module this week - it's
just been deployed as the system to manage http://coupons.lawrence.com/ :)

I like the idea that has been suggested before of creating a new 'web'
packages, similar to the email one. The current cgi module could be left
as it is (and marked as deprecated but left in the library), the new
interface could live at web.cgi.

Cheers,

Simon Willison