[Web-SIG] Client-side support: what are we aiming for?

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Oct 23 21:22:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Ian Bicking wrote:

> On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 07:46 PM, John J Lee wrote:
[...]
> How big can it really be?  I don't see how that would be a problem.

Well, much bigger than it should be for the job that cookies do.  And
there's a big difference in size between a module that handles cookies,
and one that knows about all the endless nonsense involved in doing the
Right Thing.

[...]
> I'm all for hiding crufty stuff behind simpler interfaces.  If the
> cruft leaks out that might be an issue, but you probably have a more
> informed opinion about whether you have been able to keep it in or not.

That's not an issue.  For most people, it doesn't even *have* an interface
-- you'd just do urllib2.urlopen as usual (ATM, you do
ClientCookie.urlopen, of course).  Well, possibly you'd have to call
build_opener / install_opener, too, to explicitly request cookie
handling...

John