Fwd: Re: [Web-SIG] Client-side support: what are we aiming for?

Thijs van der Vossen thijs at fngtps.com
Fri Oct 24 02:11:11 EDT 2003

Subject: Re: [Web-SIG] Client-side support: what are we aiming for?
Date: Friday 24 October 2003 08:08
From: Thijs van der Vossen <t.vandervossen at fngtps.com>
To: web-sig at python.org

On Friday 24 October 2003 02:46, John J Lee wrote:
> So, that's my pitch for justifying the inclusion of ClientCookie (in a
> somewhat reduced form) in the standard library. Jeremy Hylton seemed to
> like the idea of having it in the std lib, but I don't know if he looked
> at the code :-)

I would really like to have client cookie support in the standard library
 too.

> As for forms, originally I thought the forms code I wrote (ClientForm --
> again, based on a port of Gisle Aas' libwww-perl, and again quite
> substantially changed since then) might be nice in the std lib, but I
> changed my mind a long while ago for a number of reasons.  But if anybody
> wants to talk about HTML form parsers, of course, feel free to start a
> thread.  Same goes for HTML table parsing -- I'm not convinced the
> standard library is the place for this.

I tend to agree with this. HTML form and/or table parsing is almost only used
for stuff like screen-scraping, but I don't think this is so common it should
be included in the stanstard library. Retrieving data from the web will be
done more and more through web service interfaces like XML-RPC and SOAP or
with REST-style interfaces.

Regards,
Thijs

--