[Web-SIG] Random thoughts

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Oct 31 01:28:01 EST 2003

On Oct 30, 2003, at 9:46 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:
>>   * I oppose Simon Willison's practice of using the same variable
>>     in the "GET" and "POST" part of a request, but I will defend to
>> the
>>     death his right to do so.  (But not in Quixote, where a narrower
>>     definition of what is Right, Good, and Truthfull prevails.)
>
> I don't get it.  Any particular request only has one method, not two:
> "GET" and "POST".  Are you talking about for some reason
> special-casing these two methods in the Request class?  I think it
> makes more sense to do things generically:
>
>    request.path		(e.g., '/foo/bar')
>    request.method	(e.g., "GET")
>    request.part		(e.g., "#bletch", perhaps without the #)

No real way to access this.

>    request.headers
>    request.parameters	(either the query parms, or the
> multipart/form-data values)

I think fields is better name -- common, and a bit shorter (since it's
the most used part of the request)

>    request.response() => returns a Response object tied to this request
>
>    response.error(code, message)	Sends back an error

Message, like response.error(404, "Not Found"), or response.error(403,
"Administrator permission is required to access this resource")

>    response.reply(htmltext)		Sends back a message

or setBody perhaps -- reply implies that the text will be immediately
(irrevocably?) sent.  Maybe that's good, or maybe a separate
commit/close is better.

>    response.open(ContentType="text/html", code=200) => file object to
> write to

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the keyword arguments.