[Web-SIG] Re: client-side

Greg Stein gstein at lyra.org
Fri Oct 31 19:28:53 EST 2003

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 05:52:54PM +0000, John J Lee wrote:

> > > I plead ignorance.
> >
> [...info about WebDAV from Ian...]
>
> Sounds (I'm saying this with virtually no knowledge of the protocol, of
> course) like it would be best built on top of urllib2 rather than
> integrated with it.  Do you agree, Greg S.?

WebDAV belongs on top of httplib, not urllib. And... hey, what do you
know! ... that is exactly how I implemented davlib.py many years ago. In
fact, creating davlib.py was the impetus for rebuilding httplib into a
connection-based client model rather than the old request-based model.

urllib is about fetching content. That's about it. WebDAV was designed
specifically for writing-to/managing your server remotely. Not to mention
that "V" in its name, for versioning.

Cheers,
-g

p.s. http://www.lyra.org/greg/python/ for info on davlib.py