[Web-SIG] More prior art, less experimentation

Greg Ward gward at python.net
Fri Oct 31 21:27:18 EST 2003

On 24 October 2003, Ian Bicking said:
> We *do* have the opportunity to create something that can unify the
> Python web experience and provide the basis for more adoption of Python
> for web programming.  To do that we will have to repeat the work done
> many times before.  We should aspire to quality, but I think we need to
> hold ourselves back from aesthetic experimentation, and respect
> convention above our own preferences.  We can still indulge our own
> fancies outside of the standard library, and building on the standard
> library -- nothing we do should preclude your individual preferences
> toward web programming, but it should not preclude other people's
> preference either.  But most of all it should provide the foundation
> upon which the mature, *existing* frameworks can build.

+1000.  Hence my statement about disagreeing with the practice of
overlapping GET and POST variables, but supporting that practice *in the
standard library*.  And, simultaneously, *not* supporting that practice
in Quixote, where a slightly different aesthetic prevails.

Whatever we come up with here must be agnostic with respect to many
choices, eg. how to map URLs to code (or data) or how to generate HTML
(or XML, or whatever) pages from code.  (Those two decisions are, IMHO,
at the heart of most web frameworks, and the most prone to religious
discussions -- ie. they have no place in the stdlib.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward <gward at python.net>                         http://www.gerg.ca/
Save energy: be apathetic.