[Web-SIG] AMK's "Web applications (again)"

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Aug 2 19:23:09 CEST 2004

At 01:01 PM 8/2/04 +0200, Paul Boddie wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Having just caught up with the Daily Python-URL after being away for a
>few days, I saw that there had been some commentary on writing Web
>applications in Python. Has anyone given any more thought to the various
>standardisation activities that were discussed on this list?

One comment on the blog caught my eye:

"""
You know, this rant (that Python has too much vs. Java) always bugged me,
exactly for the remark you made: who can make sense out of what's available
*just in Jakarta* without pulling hairs? The Java developers I work with
choose their "faith", and that's the road they travel on, and rarely track
the other frameworks.

But: all these frameworks *deploy* in a standard fashion, and (I think) the
frameworks can happily co-exist in the same deployment.
That's the part that I find lacking in Python: all the apps have their own
deployment strategies, and often seem to relish in Python's ease of setting
up micro-servers.

Posted by Roger Espinosa at July 28, 2004 06:32 AM
"""

This is what the WSGI proposal is meant to tackle.  I'm currently still
putting off a rewrite of the proposal to address the issues raised by folks
on this list, and to extend it slightly to better support architectures
that want to either be asynchronous or to pipeline request preprocessors or
response postprocessors.