[Web-SIG] Latest WSGI Draft

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Aug 21 20:28:06 CEST 2004

At 10:51 AM 8/21/04 -0700, tony at lownds.com wrote:
> > I think this is just about ready to submit as an official PEP, get a
> > numbering, and post to c.l.py and Python-Dev, but of course I could be
> > wrong.  Your feedback is appreciated.
>
>+1 on PEPing it
>
>This diff addresses one typo, qualifies the claim of 1.5.2 support a bit,
>and adds some language that I imagine server implementors who want to
>support Keep-alive would find useful. None of these changes are that
>important to me, if you disagree with them in the PEP I could still
>comment on them.

I think I'm going to expand on the chunked-encoding part a bit, because
you've got some good stuff in there about when the server can and can't
supply an omitted 'Content-Length'.    I think it should actually go in the
section about the server supplying omitted headers, rather than buried in a
later note.  The "application note" should just mention the option of using
chunked encoding as an alternative to closing the connection when
Content-Length isn't supplied by the app.

As for checking the length of the iterable, I'm okay with that, but it
should be wrapped in a try: because it shouldn't be required that the
iterable have a __len__ method.

Finally, regarding 1.5.2, I'm fine with dropping that claim altogether, if
it saves us having to spell out the pre-2.2 iteration protocol
(__len__/__getitem__/IndexError).