[Web-SIG] WSGI configuration and character encoding.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 1 05:22:56 CET 2004

At 09:55 PM 11/30/04 -0600, Ian Bicking wrote:

>We aren't where (mindful) PHP is (or even close), but it's something to
>shoot for.  This may not actually apply to deployment configuration files,
>except that it would be nice if cooperative software could be packaged
>with a deployment configuration file that didn't need editing.  At which
>point it might as well be a Python script that sets up the necessary
>objects.  Python can be much smarter about this than any configuration file.

Here's what I'm thinking: paths in the file should be allowed to be
relative to the directory containing the deployment file, and the
configuration passed to the application or its setup should include the
path to the deployment file.  The combination of these two things would
suffice to allow distribution of an application in a largely
ready-to-deploy form.  The application could always provide facilities to
edit its own configuration file(s) or the deployment configuration.

This doesn't mean that some simple apps or middleware won't end up using
the deployment file for all their configuration needs, but that may well be
okay for their target audiences.  The key is to have a path to near-turnkey
installation, if possible.

>Which is why I don't really think deployment configuration is all that
>important.  It doesn't hurt, but I don't think it should hold up the PEP
>in any way -- I think the PEP is entirely sufficient as it is, and we can
>figure out deployment or async or whatever in other PEPs, or in a later
>revision to WSGI.

Hmm, I seem to recall you arguing almost the opposite about a year
ago...  ;)  For example, that it was really important for apps to know what
web server they were running in, and conversely that they expose lots of
configuration data to the web server.

Anyway, there's nothing really "holding up" the PEP; people are making
implementations, and we're so far only finding things that need
clarification, not fixing.  So clearly the PEP itself is in fairly good
shape.  I probably should block out some time in the next week or two to
apply the pending updates and write that sync/async/threading primer.

I'd also still like to see a solid async API proposal, and I'd like to
*make* a deployment format proposal, once I get a few other things taken
care of.