[Web-SIG] Web Container Interface

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Jan 30 17:29:17 EST 2004

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> So far, it seems to me that this could be done with the two pieces of
> information mentioned above.  That is, whether the app will
> (potentially) be run in multiple processes, and whether it will
> (potentially) be run in multiple threads.  If the conditions are
> unacceptable to the service, it should raise an error immediately upon
> receipt of this information.

We should also indicate if the server is long-running (the only
non-long-running instance being CGI).  Of course, a long-running server
may still only serve one request and be shut down, but there's lots of
optimizations and caching you might want to do in a long-running process
that aren't useful for a single-request process, and some applications
may be useless in a short-running environment (e.g., the multi-request
database transaction example).

Otherwise I suppose I'm okay with the rest (even if I would like a real
reference to the gateway).  I can implement Webware using just this
interface.  The open keyword arguments allow me to extend this as well,
e.g., the Webware Application displays AppServer configuration
parameters in the web control panel, so I really would like a reference,
even if it's not required.  So actually I'm A-OK with the proposal.

   Ian