[Web-SIG] WSGI async API

exarkun at divmod.com exarkun at divmod.com
Fri Oct 15 20:07:46 CEST 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:51:54 -0300, Carlos Ribeiro <carribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:24:19 -0400, Peter Hunt <floydophone at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Essentially, Twisted.Web gives you something like this:
> >
> > class MyResource(resource.Resource):
> >     def render(self, request):
> >         return "content here" # you could also do request.write("content here")
> >
> > If you do an async call, you have to use request.write() to write the
> > data, return server.NOT_DONE_YET from the render() method, and call
> > request.finish() to finish the request.
>
> Just curious, so forgive me from jumping into the middle of the
> discussion. Isn't this one of the scenarios where output generators
> are most useful? Assuming that Twisted supported it, you could yield
> lines until there were nothing else to write. Did I get it right?

  Only if you can also signal to the code which is iterating the generator that it should stop iterating it for a while, otherwise user code might be called upon for bytes before they are available.

  If I have understand the conversation on the matter then this caveat is a main stumbling block for the async wsgi api.

  Jp