[Web-SIG] Bill's comments on WSGI draft 1.4

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Sep 2 05:32:12 CEST 2004

At 07:12 PM 9/1/04 -0700, Robert Brewer wrote:
>Bill Janssen wrote:
> > 6.  The "write()" callable is important; it should not be deprecated
> > or in some other way made a poor stepchild of the iterable.
>
>That's been my only question so far. I'd like to at least hear the
>rationale behind favoring iterables so heavily over write().

One important reason: the server can suspend an iterable's execution
without tying up a thread.  It can therefore potentially use a much smaller
thread pool to handle a given number of connections, because the threads
are only tied up while they're executing an iterator 'next()' call.

By contrast, 'write()' occurs *within* the application execution, so the
only way to suspend execution is to suspend the thread (e.g. waiting for a
lock).