[Web-SIG] Standardised configuration and temporary directories.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Sep 6 16:00:40 CEST 2004

At 01:02 PM 9/6/04 +0100, Alan Kennedy wrote:

>Configuring the middleware stack is really the entire purpose of a python
>WSGI server. The platform in which the server and application reside, e.g.
>Apache, CGI, Tomcat, etc, should not be relevant. Instead, in an ideal
>scenario, the entire python application, i.e. server + middleware +
>configuration, should be portable to another platform(+WSGI layer).
>
>If this is to be the case, then the middleware and its configuration would
>be best kept under centralised python control, which would facilitate
>maximum portability between platforms.

[snip]

This is starting to get into the area of portable deployment standards for
WSGI developers, which is mostly out of scope for the current PEP.  I'd
like to see us get some field experience in various ways to do it before we
choose the "one obvious" way to do it.

That being said, don't let me stop y'all from discussing various ways to do
it, because if nobody does that we'll never get to the "one way"
part.  :)  I just don't expect the discussion to yield anything that would
convince me to "bless" a single option before PEP 333 is finalized.