[Web-SIG] wsgi layers

David Warnock david at sundayta.com
Mon Sep 6 16:59:03 CEST 2004

Hi,

Is my understanding correct in terms of layers

A web browser sends requests to a WSGI enabled web server (eg mod_python
under apache, or medusa or twisted) which passes them through installed
WSGI middleware layers (eg session management, gzip, cookie consolidator
etc) to an application hosted inside a WSGI enabled application
framework (eg quixote).

So the intention is that the application is written within the features
of a specific WSGI enabled application framework while it can be hosted
(via the way it's framework is WSGI compliant) in any WSGI server
environment.

If all this is so, then I am confused about which projects are currently
implementing/planning to implement wsgi as servers and as application
frameworks. My assumption is that the servers being pluggable don't need
to be my first concern as long as there is something that can be used
for testing. But the application framework is the critical one for
application developers. What is the state of play here?

Thanks

Dave
--
David Warnock, Sundayta Ltd. http://www.sundayta.com
iDocSys for Document Management. VisibleResults for Fundraising.