[Twisted-web] Re: [Web-SIG] WSGI woes

William Dode wilk-ml at flibuste.net
Thu Sep 16 10:58:34 CEST 2004

"Phillip J. Eby" <pje at telecommunity.com> writes:

> At 01:13 AM 9/16/04 -0400, Donovan Preston wrote:

>>>Excerpting from that post:
>>>
>>>"""The WSGI spec is unsuitable for use with asynchronous servers and
>>>applications. Basically, once the application callable returns, the
>>>server (or "gateway" as wsgi calls it) must consider the page finished
>>>rendering."""
>>>
>>>This is incorrect.
>>
>>As I said in my original post, I hadn't mentioned anything about this
>>yet because I didn't have a solution or proposal to fix the problem,
>>which I maintain remains.
>
> Reading the rest of your post, I see that you are actually addressing
> the issue of asynchronous *applications*, and I have only been
> addressing asynchronous *servers* in the spec to date.  (Technically
> "half-async" servers, since to be properly portable, a WSGI server
> *must* support synchronous applications, and therefore an async WSGI
> server must have a thread pool for running applications, even if it
> contains only one thread.)
>
> However, I'm not certain that it's actually possible to support
> *portable* asynchronous  applications under WSGI, since such
> asynchrony requires additional support such as an event loop service.

Like others, i did my litle framework who can work on top of twisted,
cgi or BaseHTTPServer. So it's possible ;-)
But it doesn't mean that i whant to run my application on any
server. Generaly i use twisted server when i have specials need, like
telnet, irc... So this application will not run under cgi. But i like
to can reuse quickly somes litle cgi application under twisted.
I need the same framework for all the servers to can share 90% of my
api, to map the url to a resource, for session, cookies...

So, i hope we can find a solution to run simple application anywhere,
and to be open for very specific uses.

Sorry, because of my poor english, i cannot help a lot in the
discussion...

--
William Dodé - http://flibuste.net