[Web-SIG] HTTP 1.1 trailers

James Y Knight foom at fuhm.net
Tue Sep 28 23:01:02 CEST 2004

On Sep 28, 2004, at 2:02 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> I just realised that WGSI doesn't allow applications to send headers
> as trailers (RFC2616, 3.6.1 Chunked Transfer Coding). I think that's
> OK, as pretty much nobody uses them, and it would require a pretty
> radical change in WGSI's design to support them, but I think the PEP
> should mention it.

Nah, it's pretty easy for a webserver to add this feature as a WSGI
extension, and for a client to do:
   if 'mycoolwebserver.set_trailers' in environ:
     environ['mycoolwebserver.set_trailers']([('Content-MD5',
'blahblah')])

Since it's easy to add as an implementation specific enhancement, and
since trailers are very close to completely useless, I don't think it
really needs to be in the core standard.

James