[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Peter Hunt floydophone at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 17:20:48 CEST 2005

Ruby on Rails, ColdFusion, ASP.NET <http://ASP.NET>, and to a lesser degree
PHP and ASP share two important traits that no Python web framework
currently embraces.

 First, when one writes an application for these frameworks, one spends the
vast majority of time writing code for their application, writing the logic
that their application specifically requires. Contrast this with J2EE or
Zope. In writing a Zope 3 application, for example, one must design objects
that fit the Zope interface requirements, write a couple of XML
configuration files to document the object, and figure out the entire API
all at once. Contrast this to PHP, where one spends time simply writing what
their application needs to do, and does not need to write a single ambiguous
XML configuration file. This extends to deployment. In a J2EE application,
you need to deploy a WAR, while with PHP, you just need to drop a few .php
files on the server and it works.

 Second, these frameworks have "batteries included". Rails is a "full-stack"
framework, which, according to its API documentation, "includes everything
needed to create database-backed web-applications according to the
Model-View-Control pattern of separation." It handles everything from form
validation to database integration to sending email. No Python framework
currently embodies such functionality with such good integration.

 I really want to be able to say that we should all come together to improve
Zope, the "king" of Python web frameworks . . . but I can't say that. Zope 2
was a mess, and Zope 3 is so overengineered that it's painful to write code.
The ideal framework should allow the programmer to be organized, while still
allowing a monkey to write Hello, World.

My two cents . . . what's yours?