[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Apr 15 22:17:15 CEST 2005

Ryan Tomayko wrote:
> We're experiencing this problem with Kid, which is framework neutral.
> I'm finding that the amount of glue code needed for most frameworks is
> more than I expected.
>
> The other issue I'm having with is that it's really hard to provide
> anything but really simple template examples and other documentation
> without assuming a certain framework. I can show the basic layout
> control and substitution features but it's hard to show real world
> examples of, say, how a basic site should be laid out.

In a way, I think this is up to the framework -- frameworks tend to have
opinions or policy on how files and code is layed out.  Templates have
opinions on how site look is separate from the layout of individual
pages, and stuff like that.

Ideally, for a significant class of frameworks it would be nice if they
could all be interfaced in the same way.  I.e., you pass in a namespace,
and maybe a "template space" as well, when templates look up up other
templates (as with ZPT macros, standard headers/footers in other other
languages, etc).  There's small but subtle differences between
templates, but maybe those could be papered over.

Then docs would be two-fold -- the framework would describe how it loads
and populates templates (generically) and templates would describe what
they do with the values given to them.