[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

mike bayer mike_mp at zzzcomputing.com
Fri Apr 15 23:37:39 CEST 2005

> Ideally, for a significant class of frameworks it would be nice if they
> could all be interfaced in the same way.  I.e., you pass in a namespace,
> and maybe a "template space" as well, when templates look up up other
> templates (as with ZPT macros, standard headers/footers in other other
> languages, etc).  There's small but subtle differences between
> templates, but maybe those could be papered over.

theres been a lot going on with Myghty with regards to the Resolver
object, which is the object responsible for converting paths into sources
of template component code, which usually come from template files stored
in one or more root directories, but also can be defined within Python
modules as well.  of particular use is that you can pass in whatever kind
of Resolver you want if you dont like the way it resolves.  Now, since
some people didnt like the way it resolved, *and* didnt want to write
their own resolver, I will be adding in to the default resolver a full
blown ruleset engine where you can drop in as many resolution rules as you
like into your own custom rule lists.

anyway, it would be straightforward to add new resolution rules that
return sources to template objects from other platforms.

the tricky part is that two templates from library A and library B both
probably need to present a slightly adapted form of themselves to each
other, like a multi-contextual object of some kind where each one can
locate its familiar namespace bits.