[Web-SIG] Re: Just lost another one to Rails

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Apr 15 23:30:23 CEST 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 22:31, Blake Winton wrote:

> > I'd love to find out that I'm wrong, although I guess I would
> > find the WSGI idioms around accessing request headers/form-encoded
> > data and collecting response information a bit cumbersome compared
> > to the APIs provided by Webstack, Quixote, Webware, CherryPy, etc.
>
> Is there any commonality between those APIs?

Perhaps. WebStack originally took some inspiration from Webware and the Java
Servlet API, but I think that the "vocabulary" is pretty standard, so it
isn't necessarily that difficult to map WebStack API methods to framework
methods. Quixote and CherryPy may have similar abstractions, but unlike most
of the frameworks supported by WebStack, these frameworks impose various
constraints (object publishing and template-orientation) that seemingly make
it impractical to support them in an API at WebStack's level.

Paul